BlogaBarbara

Santa Barbara Politics, Media & Culture

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A Word from Al Bonowitz

If you are reading this here, then I was not given the opportunity of saying it in the News-Press.

Since May 2000, I have enjoyed serving as that paper's travel editor. It’s been quite a learning experience and I thank Bill Macfadyen, Melinda Johnson, Gary Robb and Andrea Huebner for setting me on this unexpected course and guiding me along the way. (Thanks also to my friend and former colleague Starshine Roshell, who in addition to contributing stories and an additional set of eyes to the section, encouraged me to illustrate her wonderful column on occasion, and trusted me to baby-sit her children.)

Thanks especially to everyone who participated in the section by entering the contests, contributing to the “Where I’ve Been” section, or just paging through it on Sunday.

Although I have yet to decide on my next career step, I’m pretty sure it will have to occur in a different city. If that’s the case, I hope to return for visits often and will always have fond memories of my time in Santa Barbara.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Al,

I really enjoyed the "Where I've Been" section, and was even able to contribute to it once. Thank you for providing it.
Good luck with your future projects.
- a fan

10/03/2006 11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al, we'll miss you. Thank you for everything.

Consider attending the SPJ presentation: "Journalism Today; An Evening With Former News-Press Editor Jerry Roberts."

It’s in Burbank, so your old boss won’t be able to pull up in her petro sucking yacht. Maybe there's some place for Wendy to land her heli?
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061003/cltu529.html?.v=36

10/04/2006 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So long, Al. You've done the right thing. Thanks for hanging in there long enough to vote. I'm sure you're going to continue to do well in your career, despite the trashing you're likely to get when you apply for new work, and they call the N-P to check. But always remember that you're the one on the high road here, and the Wendy, Nipper et. al. are the laughing stock of the industry and the nation. So take heart, and make sure to sue the pants off them if they try to slander you to a new employer.

10/04/2006 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this didn't affect people's lives, I wouldn't care. However, this is a stain on the community. I guess the NewsPress has filed a counter suit:

http://www.santabarbarasblog.com

Thoughts and prayers to the former employees and thier families

10/04/2006 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al Bonowitz was not only a great editor and a stand up kind of guy, but he's also a fantastic drummer. Al, you don't talk much, but your actions speak louder than words. Thanks for the good years.

10/04/2006 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a shame - best of luck to you.

10/08/2006 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home