BlogaBarbara

Santa Barbara Politics, Media & Culture

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Is this war?

Craig Smith's Blog reports that News-Press lawyer David Millstein and their CPA busted into a Teamster meeting with News-Press advertisers as if it had a public comment period. Yesterday, the News-Press FAQ on the News-Press Mess made headlines at The Independent. As a reader who provided a possible community post just pointed out to me:

What are the courts doing? I am past of the point of shock when I read the business wire statements from News Press spokespeople, or the memo sent yesterday to editorial staff. I am also disappointed when pro-journalist commentary on this blog and the Indy becomes name calling. One person admitted to using many names to post anti-NP messages. That may be his or her right, but does it lend our side credability?

Actions are escalating because there's been no legal repercussion to put a stop to them.

As reported by Craig, Wendy McCaw told Sarah Sinclair that "This is war, you're either with us or against us". Days later, Sarah found out that a private investigator was monitoring her at a newspaper convention in Vegas. So, who is this war against? Anyone and everyone whose loyalty is questioned? History is full of despots who took the same view -- the problem today is that the nation state is now represented by the corporation.

Our citizen editorial went on to ask:
I am so disappointed by the actions of NewsPress management. I am also increasingly disappointed by the actions, or lack of, by our legal system. All the firings, resignations, money going into the pockets of lawyers, private eyes,and security to the amount that I will never see in my lifetime are the result, I feel, of a painfully slow legal system.
Where is the NLRB?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara,
Why no mention of all the other newsworthy topics that NP is not covering like the teachers, change in Ag zoning rules, Chumash expansion plans, the smoking gun on County's affordable housing program, etc, etc, etc?

I am sympathetic to the plight of NP and those reporters who are no longer employed but surely there is alot going on in SB of interest to your readers besides the NP BS.

2/14/2007 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does the analogy comparing Wendy P. McCaw with George W. Bush seem more and more true every day?

2/14/2007 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Independent just got sued. OMG, what's next? Does anyone have the details on this?

2/14/2007 11:08 AM  
Blogger Sara De la Guerra said...

10:19 AM -- I do my best to offer posts on other topics and I am always interested in your thoughts. Do a two paragraph round up on an issue and offer it as a post -- if I'm not covering what you want, I'll publish your thoughts.

2/14/2007 11:20 AM  
Blogger Sara De la Guerra said...

11:08 AM - someone asked me this morning why I didn't post the memo....that's why. The Independent has a few more lawyers than me :)

2/14/2007 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See the pathetic teacher on TV was sad. I'm not sure it deserves any attention or comment though.

2/14/2007 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

10:19AM doesn't seem to grasp what a blog is...if those stories are newsworthy, post something about them. As far as I know, Sara doesn't edit for subject matter, just tone, libel, etc.

2/14/2007 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pardon me for being cynical, but.... the NLRB lawyers are doing the same thing NP lawyers are - inflating their billable hours.

Like I have said before, the only winners here are the lawyers - they will be much richer and happy as clams, whilst the rest of us are left with the dregs. dd

2/14/2007 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The NP CPA was also the CPA for von Weisenberger's mother.

2/14/2007 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure how the rumor got started, but the Indy did not get sued again -- or at least we haven't got served with papers yet. There is nothing illegal with posting a leaked document. Indeed, that is what newspapers do. I assume that blogs can do it to if they like.
Bye,
Matt Kettmann
Senior Editor
The SB Independent

2/14/2007 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couple of points.

I gathered that the NP was the leaker of its Q & A memo, but that could be wrong(?) It does look like something -- as skewed as it is -- that it would want out there. The NP's version of reality is bizarre, but it's what it believes, and it's sticking to it.

Whatever else you can say about the NLRB, their lawyers do not "bill hours"; they are paid a salary. It's exactly the opposite of private firm lawyers: they have no financial incentive to put in lots of time. They do, however, sometimes get energized when they see serious wrongdoing and believe they have a chance to utilize the law for good. Really. And the overwhelming and persistent (and seemingly endless) pattern of lawlessness exhibited by the NP is driving them to put in extra time, thought and energy, and while the investigation takes a while, and NP management keeps on adding new offenses to its inventory, and the investigation must include an opportunity for the NP to give its side, in the not too distant future I think we're going to see a ton of bricks begin to fall from the NLRB's sky onto Wendy and her minions.

2/15/2007 5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work in the NP and was among the 33 who voted for a union six months ago.

Since then, I have seen nearly every one of my friends either fired or pushed into resigning to avoid a nervous breakdown. I am just about there myself.

In the meantime, the NLRB has done jack. They've taken the statements of those screwed by Wendy and done jack. Six months. Six f-----g months.

Our union reps -- hell, they're not really even our union reps yet, since the NLRB has yet to throw out Wendy's frivolous appeal of our vote -- they tell us to hang in there, that relief is around the corner. I don't believe it anymore. There's no one left here anymore but me and handful of scared rabbits.

F--k the NLRB. They're nothing but stuffed shirts.

I will be resigning once I can find a job somewhere. I dont' need this anymore.

2/15/2007 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home