BlogaBarbara

Santa Barbara Politics, Media & Culture

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Onnen says 'Not my Job' on Oil Moratorium? Whaa?

There will be another vote by the Goleta Council soon on supporting an oil moratorium off our coast. In reading the Daily Sound the other day -- I was surprised to see Council Member Eric Onnen say that he didn't think dealing with the issue was in his "job description". Last time I checked, his job description had to do with the concerns of his constituents, no? He went on to say that he didn't think the issue furthers the goals and objectives of the city. Excuse me? Veneco has a big plant in the city and the possible environmental impacts of a spill would be enormous to both the city and his good friends and donors at The Bacara. Did I just say that? Doh!

The city receives no monetary benefit from oil processing on its land but takes all the environmental risk. In addition, Veneco continues to make noise about expanding their operations. If Onnen's job isn't to protect the welfare of Goleta's citizens and environment, I'm not sure what it is. Council Member Roger Aceves, who had requested the item be put on the agenda, pointed out that there's nothing wrong with reaffirming the city's stance which is included in the General Plan. I agree. What say you?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Happy Programmer said...

As a Goleta resident I can safely that I expect this to be in his job description - representing his community which doesn't want expanded oil drilling.

9/24/2008 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home